Saturday, February 8, 2014

Leafs' Bolland to use break as impromptu training camp

Dave Bolland isn't taking any chances in his comeback from a gruesome ankle injury which has had him sidelined for over three months.

"Things are progressing, not as quickly as I wished they were, but things are progressing," Bolland told the Toronto Sun on Thursday. "I wish I could get on the ice (in a game), but it's about getting my ankle better and getting my tendon better and getting stronger."

"It's making sure I can handle the 20-odd games we have left instead of 10 or so."

Nicknamed "The Rat" for his ability to effortlessly get under an opponent's skin and take his focus away from the task at hand, Bolland is in his first season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, coming over from Chicago last offseason as the principle in a trade that sent three draft picks to the Blackhawks - and hasn't had much of a chance to endear himself to the manic Maple leafs' fan base.

Bolland had a tendon in his ankle severed by Vancouver Canucks' Zack Kassian who raised his blade and sliced into Bolland's leg while driving him into the dashers in a game on November 2nd, disrupting a season that promised to be one of his best, scoring six goals and helping on four others in the 15 games before the injury.

At first it was hoped that the 27-year-old checking centerman could return before the Olympic break, but now he's just focused on using the two and a half week break as an impromptu training camp.

"I don't think I'll be going anywhere nice" Bolland quipped in describing what his Sochi break would entail, "I'll be in London (Ontario) skating with the old Knights' team. I know for myself, not playing in two-and-a-half months, the game looks quicker out there.  So I'll be skating with them and getting stronger so when I get back I'll be ready."

Bolland helped the London Knights of the OHL win the Memorial Cup in 2005 and also helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 2010 and 2013, scoring the series winner in Game 6 of last season's Finals against the Boston Bruins.

Despite missing most of the season, Bolland knows his services will be in high demand when he enters unrestricted free agency this summer.

"I've won two Stanley Cups.  I've been to the Finals and know what it takes to get there." Bolland said confidently, "I've been through those battles.  They know what I can do and what kind of heart I have out there."

As for the injury itself, the 27-year-old has been skating on the leg for about three weeks and he knows that it's not ready.  "For me, it's crossing over and getting on that ankle and putting weight on it and stressing that tendon" Bolland said with a slight grimace. "That's the biggest thing is the transition of the game."

Sounds as if teams will be wanting Bolland's intelligence as well as his on-ice physical skills once free agency hits this offseason.

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/02/leafs-bolland-to-use-break-as-impromptu.html#.UvZx47Qcq58

No comments:

Post a Comment