Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Datsyuk ready to go for 'Wings against Panthers

Pavel Datsyuk may be ready to return to the ice for the Detroit Red Wings as early as Thursday.

The Red Wings are in Florida on Thursday night, and General Manager Ken Holland has indicated that it's up to Datsyuk if he's ready to go or not.

"He's going to decide on Thursday morning," Holland said on Tuesday, "If he has had a good day of practice on Wednesday, and a good morning skate on Thursday, and as long as there's no setbacks, we're hopeful"

The words from Holland are more or less contradictory of those from coach Mike Babcock, who on Monday commented, "I just watch him in practice, one leg isn't holding up. Pavel wants to play for his country and be part of things, but you have to be healthy."
AP file photo

Datsyuk, who is slated to be Russia's captain on the ice in Sochi, and will be regardless of whether he participates in the Red Wings' final two games before the break, at Florida on Thursday and Tampa Bay on Saturday.

"I don't know." Datsyuk responded when asked if he would be playing in the games, "I'm just trying to make sure that I play one or two games before then.  That's my goal now." then adding, " I'm not thinking about the Olympics now, I'm thinking about our team and coming back to help our team."

Music to the ears of Holland, who has publicly stated that he is worried about Datsyuk.

"Of course, I’m worried." Holland said on Sunday of his star forward putting his health on the line after missing so much time for the Red Wings this season. "But I understand what an opportunity this is for every Russian and every other player. Pavel has a decision to make and I understand that it’s his decision and I respect that it's his decision."

He'll respect it a lot more if he has had Datsyuk back for a couple of games before he heads out to Sochi.

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/02/datsyuk-ready-to-go-for-wings-against.html

No comments:

Post a Comment